8.29.2006

Control

Many of my friends are in the same boat I am in right this very moment, for the most part. Life with small children. There are several modes needed to survive life with small children, or probably children in general. - I do think that survival is the appropriate term for the moment. - I will go out on a limb and speak for the majority of my friends, all based on any given conversation, and say that we feel like we have everything under 'control' at all times.

It is all a delusion.

Today, I am functioning in the most detrimental mode of them all. I have lost 'control', which I probably never had it to start with. But, I think that I am still in 'control'. Havoc is running rampid throughout our household, but hey, it is all okay. Why you ask? Easy, I have it ALL under 'control'.

To start with, my friend Sarah rode with me to our 7:10 AM, that's right 7:10 AM, appointment at Scottish Rite this morning. After encouraging her that we should be on the rode BY 5:30 AM, that's right again, 5:30 AM, I slept until 5 minutes before she arrived at my house. Where at that point, I heard our nurse call my name down the hallway. I was out of the bed like lightning with my heart jumping out of my chest. Needless to say, we were not on the rode at our 'Gwen appointed time'. Thanks to crafty driving, Sarah had us there on time.

As we were pulling back into Rome a little past 9:00 am, Matt called the cell phone. The boys were not going to preschool today. Quick arrangements were implemented. Long story short, I made my weekly visit to our pediatrician by 10:20 am, except this time with the boys. We love our pediatrician, but he will probably be able to retire off of our family alone. I returned the boys home, made lunch, jetted back out to the grocery store, and now have managed to survive until naptime. All the while, still in 'control'.

Now naptime is upon us. (1:oo pm)

I just managed to peek around the boys bedroom door without getting caught. This is a very risky attempt. I have to step on the right sequence of boards on the hardwood floor so that the squeak does not catch their attention. Right now, Knox is asleep. Walker is sitting on Knox's bed playing with some loud toy giving an all-out effort to wake Knox. All I hear is Walker saying,"Knossssh get up, I wake". The question here is this,"Do I attempt to go into their room and place Walker back in his new big boy bed, or do I wait it out and let him pass out from sheer exhaustion"? Ivey is starting to rouse from her sleep. (Dr. Rogers does not have the answers to these sleep issues in his notes. I've looked!) The phone is ringing. My cell phone just stopped ringing. I am just sitting here listening and taking a moment to share the humor of everything that is going on around me. Sometimes you just have to laugh. Right?

Really, it's okay to laugh. I am still in 'control' over here.

And with my glass half-full I will say, tomorrow is another day. Oh yeah, we will be back at Scottish Rite by a more reasonable 9:30 am. Ahhh, there will be Thursday. Oh, but I almost forgot, I will make my second visit to our pediatrician, this time with Ivey. I refer to visits with the pediatrician with 'I' because I am not sure if he is really monitoring the children or me. Later on Thursday, Ivey will visit the dermatologist to address this nasty rash on her face from her ng tube and tape. Have no fear, I am still going to be in 'control'.

Here I will say, I would not have things any other way. Eventually, I will look back, remember, and laugh about these days. And you guessed it, I will still be in 'control'.

Signed,
The One In 'Control' - Gwen

2 comments:

Willingham13 said...

Gwen,

Happy Birthday to Ivey and her first visit to church. I am sure your church members swaddled you with much love and care during the service.

You seem to be in control of everything. Each time you sit down and update us, I am amazed. You have a wonderful talent for writing and it is has surfaced as you express your feelings and thoughts.

I can't even believe you and Matt are building a house at this time in your life. I remember how stressful that was for us. You and Matt are examples to all of us you, who are so lucky to have you in our lives and families.


I can't wait to have lunch with you.

Love,
Mon

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

You are right on with this... what a delusion the control is! Just thought I'd let you know that I am one of those people touched by your precious Ivey. Praise God that you see His pupose in her life. God has used her in mighty ways in my heart already. I enjoy reading your blog and hearing of your faith. May God Bless you today!

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...