8.19.2006

The Blessings of a Small Town

Let me preface this Thank You letter by telling you of a decision Matt and I made the first day Ivey was born. With the uncertainty of Ivey's condition, we were given the choice by our neonatologist to transport Ivey to Atlanta or stay here in Rome. She listed the pro's and con's for being in each location. She also pointed out that our family and friends were here. Our decision was clear, we stayed. Unbeknownst to us, outside the hospital walls our family and friends were already gathering for our rescue.

Matt and I quickly discovered how fortunate we were to live in a close-knit community like Rome. For me personally, I discovered myself finding comfort in having so many people from Cedartown employed at the hospital, people who knew me. Neither town is exceptionally large; however, Rome is a substantial town compared to Cedartown. Thank heavens they are in such close proximity to one another. Thus, the blessing of small towns.

I never did appreciate the safeguard of growing up in a small town. It was the typical "Jack and Diane" song. I had many great times, most with the same group of girls that I knew before we were old enough to begin school. When I think back, I remember freezing nights cheering at football games, endless basketball seasons, and an abundance of time just trying to find something to do. Thus, the cruelty of a small town. We also found it cruel that our parents knew what we were doing - even before we did. Word gets around fast. In the end, we all went our separate ways. Now we are all in a different chapter of our lives, but we have all, for the most part, settled somewhere close to "home". As a result of Ivey's birth, I now have a new relationship with my small town. A small town never forgets who you are and it takes care of its own.

My Thank You:

While in the hospital, I received an unexpected gift of flowers from girls whom I spent most of my time growing-up. Christy, Becky, Anna, Jennifer,Tamara and I have lost touch, rarely seeing one another, but we were all bound together many years ago.

Molly was one of the first on the telephone the day Ivey was born. Lisa was there. Stacey and Brandy made their way here after years of little communication. Monica has offered her time to help whenever she is needed. Carrie has extended herself for whatever is needed.

My basketball coach, Coach Jolly, was one of the first in the hospital room. He always said we were equals with his own daughters.

Konda's son was my sister's friend - that was our connection. She held Ivey at times in the hospital when I could not physically be there. When Ivey returned to the hospital, she was the first there. Ivey still knows her voice and touch.

Kelly was Ivey's nurse this past trip to FMC. She was always "Cristen's little sister". Our years of knowing one another converged in her care for Ivey.

Haley and Robert have reached out to pull us through this, in the midst of their own family crisis.

I can't begin to express my gratitude to Asa Peek and his family. Their connection is to both Matt and I; however, his roots grow deep in Cedartown.

Steve and Nicki go without saying. They are now my neighbors, just two doors down. They have trecked across the lawns at all hours, day and night, to watch the boys, help with Ivey and just be good friends.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Christa has her own place niched in my heart. We met before grade school and have been friends since. She is present in almost every memory I have. Memories from childhood, grade school, middle school, high school, college. She stood beside me as I married Matt. She loves my children as I love hers. She knows just when to call, eventhough she is now two hours away. She knows me, skeletons and all, and loves me just the same. She is a true Friend. Thank you.

Tami stands alone. She is my living hero. She is both family and friend. I would say that I owe her the biggest thank you, but that would not be enough. For the sacred moments she and I have endured over our lifetime and especially in the past few months, I owe her my life.

I have received numerous phone calls, sweet cards and letters from "home". Each card I have put in a special place in hopes that one day I will read them to Ivey and she will understand the love that she has enveloping her. Over the course of the past few months, I have grown to appreciate my original "home", as it has embraced our family. Thank you.

I write this Thank You after I was prompted by a note I received from "home" last week. The the note is a true treasure. Thank you Nancy for your note. It has meant more to me than you will ever know.

Thus, the blessings of a small town!

Gwen

No comments:

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...