2.12.2008

To Be So Little .......

she sure is stirring up trouble around here.
(At the bottom of this post is a new Ivey video. )

I can't quite figure her out. Weeks seem to creep by with her creeping along at a snail's pace. She may do little things gradually, but with alot of work. Truly, we have learned to appreciate the little things in life - the things we take for granted - the things that most often go unnoticed - the things that the rest of us can just do. Ivey has taught us to slow down and we have no choice but to do so.

Like I said, time can be like a doldrum at times and then there is the 'Click'. She all of a sudden gets it. The past couple of weeks have been full of clicks. Last week she started to get the meaning and correlation of certain signs that we have been teaching her. After months of repitition, it clicked. Last night, after months and months of practicing certain skills in PT another little milestone clicked. So Rebecca if you are still checking in, she finally got it. Ivey rolled from her back to her stomach, got up on her hands and knees, and then she folded her legs into an 'S' shape and pushed herself into a sitting position. Finally! It is a simple task that most of us started doing within the first months of our lives, but it takes work and strength, and Ivey finally got them!

As for trouble, she has learned to flip her eye so that the back of her eye is facing outward. She also started taking her right eye out and chewing on it. We are all warned not to give our children objects the size of a quater, and here we are giving her two things exactly that size. Some times you just have to laugh when you can. Christa came over to keep Ivey this week and here I was leaving instructions on how to put her eye back in---never mind the fact that the rest of my friends are leaving nap schedules and meal instructions for their sitters. Laugh when you can. Lucky for me, Christa is exceptional with Ivey. Anyway, she is also pulling her cap off of her trach just to chew on it. We might have a small problem here. I have no clue how to stop it. Explain to me how to handle this minute discipline problem. I am baffled.

One thing I did learn on Sunday at church is that Ivey can get pretty loud. She may get loud with her cap on, but a trach with a cap does seem to have it's perks. The cap can act like an on/off button. I put the cap on; she tried to compete with the choir; I took it off; Ivey magically got quite. Wa-la.

And as a side note, I had the kiddos at church by myself on Sunday. I am quite certain that the powers that be got a good chuckle out of our crew. Right in the middle of church Walker had to go to the restroom. So off we go, Ivey, me and Walker; Knox stayed in the pew. We get to the restroom and Walker tee-tees right there in the floor in front of the toilet - pants on and all - we were mere seconds late. Somehow - and I still can't figure this out - his undergarments, socks and one shoe got soaked. Miraculously, his pants did not get wet, not one stitch. Now figure that one out. I am emnbarrased to say that Walker made it comando back into church. Is there any scripture I am unaware of about moms insisting their children return commando back into the church? Life with little ones -

Anyway, we did get video of Ivey sitting up. We weren't fast enough to get it from the beginning, but know that this is a GIGanTIc leap for her.

Have a happy valentine's day everyone!!
Gwen

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB sitting up Ivey!! Whoo-Hoo!! We love it. And Walker, going commando in church, huh? Can't say that I've done it myself, but there is a first time for everything, right? I am sure God doesn't care if we are wearing underwear, as long as we show up, right?! Keep sitting up girl, you can do it!!

Love, Jill & Ella

Renee said...

I laughed through the paragraph about Ivey and her eyes and the babysitter notes. It's great to find humor in such things. And I'm proud of you for taking them to church by yourself. I know that is no easy task...I've done it myself a few times even though I choose the cry room on those days.

Karen Owens said...

Oh, Gwen, I hear you sister! Can someone please tell us where instruction manual for raising children with "devices" is? Where is the gosh darn book?!

We took Gavin to the hospital yesterday after chewing through his GJ Tube for like the 5th time.

Oh my gosh what happens when they turn two. I just don't want to think about it.

Love the video -- you sound like a proud mama!

Borbe Bunch said...

HI Friend...ok, so I am wiping away tears watching your precious Ivey sitting up, I love your Cheering, your encouraging voice to her...but the best was the big brothers coming in and giving her hugs and kisses for doing such a great job!! It is a familiar scene that I am blessed with also...Ezzy's big sisters cheering him on and being so excited about the "little" things to some, but the HUGE blessings to us! :)
Ivey is doing great, I am so excited...all the love and support she has, you and your hubbie, who I heard cheering, are doing GREAT, keep it up! Our little ones KNOW they are loved and cared for in that super special way...I believe it is the "juice" that keeps them trucking...glad to have met you and thanks for sharing a part of your everyday world with us...
I appreciate you...

Girl Raised in the South said...

thrilled to hear of the milestones she's accomplishing. Just a thought, maybe a crazy one, can you put Thumbzit on the trachea cap - the stuff I used to get the kids to stop sucking their thumbs. It tastes AWFUL!

The Adoption Of William said...

I love Ivey stories. She is quite the little character!! I wish I could magically get mine to be quiet in church....not happening :)


Blessings,

William's Mom

www.specialneedsbaby.blogspot.com

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Way to gooo Ivey! What a big girl:)

And you sure have the funniest babysitter instructions that I know:)!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Rachel said...

Way to go Ivey and way to go Gwen for teaching her, encouraging her and then waiting patiently until she was ready to do it herself. Ivey is a wonderful strong willed determined little girl and we know she gets that from her mama.
Rachel in PA

Anonymous said...

This post is priceless! Fromm Walker commando in church to Miss Ivey sitting up...priceless.

I have to tell you that on the ride home from school today I apologized to Ivy for not making it to the Pre-K Valentine party. Her reply was, "That's okay, Mom, baby Ivey was there!" So, thanks for covering for me, Ivey!

Connie Barris said...

You are so amazing....

I remember being told not to play with my food.. oh my, I can hear it now.. "Don't play with your eye"....

Life...!!

we were in your neighborhood last night for a church dinner group.. and why is it... maybe not all men but my man.. has an "idea" of where we are going.. so we go up and down your part of the neighborhood and we go to houses and say, is this the so and so's house.. "well no".... until we find it... so I'm surprised we didn't end up at your house...

blessings,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Go Ivey!

Annie said...

I just found your blog and I am so glad I did. I have a baby (well, he's 2 but that's still a baby to me) who is visually impaired. He's still not speaking at all and we've been trying to teach him basic sign language but we can't get him to look at us when we are showing him. He doesn't like for us to touch his hands because he has had too much hand over hand. How do you teach Ivey? I have never run across another parent who has a baby with vision issues. I am so glad I found you.

Unknown said...

Gwen,
She is so amazing. Give her a big hug for me. I miss seeing you guys and hope all is well. Hope to see you soon.
Rebecca

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...