3.19.2010

Iceberg

There has been alot going on around here in the past few months.  Actually alot of medical stuff.  It hasn't been like this in a while.  I'll be honest.  I am tired - mentally much more than physically.  In the past when more medical 'stuff' mounted we were already in up to our nose, so a little more was no big deal.Now we have been in a place with a slower place and just shifted from our momentary deep breath - back toward medical mania.  New stuff.  Always something new it seems, which should not be a suprise.  We have always known there would be new stuff - do you like that I keep calling it 'stuff'?

Just when I thought I had this whole Ivey thing figured out she threw out a new plan straight from right field.  It's time to head up to the attic, dig around in a dusty box of college textbooks and reread what little there is about the tip of this iceberg we are about to encounter.  Google get ready.

Recently someone unknowingly said something very hurtful to me about my relationship with Ivey.  And for a brief moment in time I actually let those words in.  I doubted my role in Ivey's life.  I wondered if they were true.  But in the past weeks since the wheels have started grinding again, the fear that never subsides from having a daughter like Ivey has began to well up again.  A fear that I would never wish on anyone.  It reminds me of the roads that are less traveled that we have walked - sometimes crawled on- most times alone- making our own path through weeds and briars - sometimes coming out scraped and battered, but we come out alive.  And that is the key word that brought me back to center. 

Today as I sat in a new physicians office I was pulled back to reality.  OUR reality.  He was in mid-sentence - referring Ivey to anther physician - when he stopped talking and just looked at me with a grin.  Apparently I had the 'giggle so I don't cry' grin on my face because he said 'Your doing a great job with her.  You are doing an excellent job.'

I'll admit it.  I needed to hear that.  Because he is right. I, like all other parents with medically fragile special needs children, am critiqued on a daily basis.  No other parents are viewed under the magnifying glass like we are.  Our children's progress, or lack there of, is our check mark for success - their success.  I think other adults involved sometimes forget, especially with kids like Ivey, that our kids have more in their resumes than whomever is working with them at the moment, whether it be medical or educational arenas.  Most of those same people who have the best of intentions with our children, would never want the life that they expect us to create for our children - working all the time - sometimes our family emploding - never having enough hours in the day.  They would never want to be judged in the same manner.  Ivey has 15 doctors, therapists (OT, PT, O/M, VI, HI, SLP), teachers, home health nurses, countless appointments and life inbetween.  Top it off that she is 1 out of 7 known kids with her genetic abnormality.  She is a not so common deafblind kid.

He was right.  My daughter is here, she is alive and honestly did you know that she wasn't supposed to be? Despite my faultering with confidence at times, Ivey is thriving.  Amidst the medical complications that her life entails, she has managed to be a very happy smart little girl.  She may not be typical, nor does she follow some curve on a chart, or conform to be like some paragraph in a textbook on special needs  - She is much more than that. 

She is my daughter.  And she is amazing. No matter what, that is enough for me.

I have an appointment to confirm tomorrow then we'll talk.  All and all this next move should prove to be very good for Ivey.  It's just me kicking and pounding my fist for a moment.  I sit beside Ivey and make decisions for her everyday on every aspect of Ivey's life.  Every aspect.  Those decisions are not easy. I just hope this blog can help those who are in the lives of children with medical and educational special needs see that all of these decisions are woven together.  Unlike those who work with Ivey individually on focal areas of need, I only see her as a whole.

And all and all over the years decisions have been made that were/are the prominant decision to be made at the moment.  When she sat in a hospital for weeks after being trached unfortunately proper techniques for teaching her were not our focus and after the trach we didn't linger on it...my girl had things to learn.  My point.  Ivey has both mental, motor and physical delays that are naturally built into her body.  She spends time battling seizures and illnesses. She undergoes more than her share of procedures. She has at time- missed- valuable time. 

So if you read this in blogland go back to the medically driven special needs child in your life - and take a long look at the tenacity of that child.  Praise the accomplishments they have made.  Even though you can read background about the child, those words in black and white do not entail the true history or what they have endured and SURVIVED when you were not part of their life.  You can't imagine the choices that have been made for that child, nor would their parent want you to.   Don't piece mill the child.  Take them whole and service them as a whole.  And know that child is standing before you because they had parents who were with them every step - making decisions - loving them - cheering them on -

Whether it be this blog, a therapy session, a few hours in school, a doctor's appointment or weeks in the hospital, those moments are only TIPS OF THE ICEBERG.  What lies beneath the surface...well you know what I mean.

13 comments:

Connie Barris said...

Thank you Gwen for your vulnerability and honesty.

I can't fathom giving advice or critiquing you and your family. But the one thing that does come to mind is I stand in awe of the love and sacrifice this family has made. And you, Ivey's mom, I am speechless most of the time.

Most people are fearful of where you are and feel they have something to contribute to your abilities as a mom in which they know nothing about. They are trying to ease their own fears. Sad.

To think God chose you to be Ivey's mom... what a tremendous honor.

My prayers are for you all in the journey you embark.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Connie

Sheila and Grace said...

You are an absolutely wonderful mom, Gwen, not only to Ivey but to your boys as well. Ivey is doing incredible because of you! You know and understand her like nobody else can or ever will. Know we are here, supporting you always!

Heather BT said...

Gwen, because of you, Ivey has known love, joy, laughter and happiness. Those who might judge, well they haven't given her any of those things, and haven't given her anything at all. they want to take things from you, don't listen.
Heather

KrisKay said...

You are doing a fabulous job! Hold your head high and know that. You rock and because of that Ivey rocks too. I think that people like you should get some time of honorary medical degree. We learned so much with Kouper's stuff, which pales in comparison to all that you've learned. Keep on doing what you're doing! You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Lauren said...

Gwen,

It is an honor to know you, Ivey, Matt, and the boys. You and Matt are wonderful parents who do an amazing job with your children. Your love, strength, patience, and determination come directly from the Lord and for anyone to judge you or your actions, well...they will have to take that up with Him. I do think, however, that we all (as moms) overly judge ourselves and occasionally need a pat on the back from someone. So, take this and all the other comments as a pat from us. We all think that Ivey is a miracle. Like you said, she wasn't supposed to be with us still. Every day that Ivey is in this world, we are better people and this world is a better place. She exudes joy. She brings a happiness to all that know her that would otherwise not be there. Thank you for all you do with your family and for allowing us into your life and mind. Do not EVER let anyone's comments steal one second of joy from your life.

I cannot wait for a date with the precious girl. They have added on to the trail in Marshall Forrest. I am dying to take her there. Let me know when she is ready and we can find a pretty spring day for our time together!

Much Love,
Lauren

Heather said...

SO many bullet points I want to hit.SO much of this post resonates loud and clear with me and my journey with Zoey but in the end all I want to tell you is that you, my far away friend, are THE BEST mom ever for Ivey.And Miss Ivey remains your compass in this complicated voyage.

I know all too well that iceberg you speak of and as I head into our last IEP meeting this morning before Zoey heads to school in April,I will carry you and your incredible girl with me. Thank you for always leading by example when often I wish you didn't have to.

Anxious to hear about the "stuff".

Love from California.

Megan said...

Gwen, you are awesome, in every way. And awesome does not mean perfect - no one is perfect, nor should we want to be. No one who has not walked in your shoes can judge the life that you live with Ivey. I am so happy that Ivey's new doctor took a second to give you something that you needed to hear. We are all behind you and Ivey, each and every day!
xoxo,
Megan

Anonymous said...

My dear, I wouldn't dream of judging you and no one should especially since they've never walked a mile (or even a foot) in your shoes.
When I was younger and would berate myself cause I had screwed up, my mom would say, "You can only do your best." And so, that is what I say to you. You can only do your best.

Stella said...

Thanks so much for this post. It has been a tough week with Stella and I found this post very inspiring and encouraging. It is good to remember all that our children have accomplished. Keep up the good work as a wonderful Mama.

- Pauline

Jessica Chamness said...

Gwen, you always do such a wonderful job of expressing your thoughts and feelings. Many times, when I ready your blog, I feel that you have taken the thoughts out of my mind and put them into words. Please know that you are not alone! I will continue to pray for you, Ivey, and your entire family. I will ask that God give you peace and guidance throughout your journey! Ivey is a beautiful little girl with a wonderful family (and great Mommy)!

Cat said...

I read your blog often, but have never commented before. I know just from what I read that you are an amazing Mom. I'm glad you got the boost you needed. We all need it from time to time.
I have twin preemies, and yes, at times when I read the reports and the evals I got caught in that moment and was discouraged. But our children are a wonder and a gift! Of course as a Mom I know that, and I love my guys to death-but those words on a paper have really done a number on me in the past.
Thank you for giving me the boost *I* needed to remember that they are always so much more than words on a paper.
Catherine

georgiamom said...

Gwen--Isn't amazing the power of words? They can heal and tear down so easily. Such a reminder to me to ask God to set a filter over my mouth! I will leave you with the words of our often quoted Dr. Rogers---You are doing a wonderful job. Ivey is thriving in your care. love always, mandy

Lisa said...

Gwen,
I know of you and Ivey through some mutual friends. However, I have never had time to sit down and read you blog even though I have had it bookmarked for a very long time.

I'm so glad I took some time for myself this afternoon and read about your family.

You are doing an amazing job. I know this not from reading your blog but from friends and family who sing your praises all the way to Louisiana.

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...