10.14.2007

Redirecting my 90%

What would you do? How long can you smile and turn the other cheek? Why does it have to be so hard at times? Why can’t we be left alone – at least part of the time? Why did I let my guard down? Why didn’t I put my game face on? Why can’t we have one day – just one day – to our selves? Will her life outside of our fortress always be a stage?

Wow. I started this entry last night. It was late. I was tired. Luckily, I shut off my computer not too long after our nurse arrived and stared at the TV for a little while trying to regroup. Finally I went to bed.

The top paragraph is proof that all things are better dealt with after sleep.

I do keep a journal. Some things make to Ivey’s blog if they predominantly concern her, but most of my thoughts stay tucked away.

Lately when it comes to our little world around here things have been average. Like any family we have the good days, the yucky days, the irritable days, the fun days, the busy days, but mainly they are just ‘normal’ days for life with three kids. You know – I often wonder what the FedEx man hears when he sneaks to our door to drop off a package. Anyway, I (we) have become accustomed to life with our three sprouts – they are nothing but ordinary. Well, take that back I think they are extraordinary, but I am a little biased. I am loosing my point to this; let me redirect.

Even though this life that we are in is plain ole’ normal for us, there are still moments that have the capability of breaking me. I have tried to keep them in the pages of my journal. This is very hard to put into words – its one of those emotions that you can’t quite describe, but it is there everyday of my life, and I NEVER experienced this emotion until Ivey was born. It is a lone emotion that stems from having a special need child. I think parents with special children will understand, and others with special needs family members or friends can identify, but even that is still different.

If you know our family then you know that Ivey is not a child who is harbored in our home. We take her everywhere we go, no matter what. Nurses that have come into our home have often commented about how happy they are to see how we care for Ivey and incorporate her into every aspect of our lives. At first I was taken back by those comments, but the longer I walk this journey I understand why they comment on this. The reality is that many children like Ivey are often forgotten and excluded; they remain home and miss out on Life. Not my Ivey.

I have a game face. You know the one – smile, hold your head up, and grit your teeth, no matter what punch or play is called. Hide the emotion, and what ever you do don’t let them see your weaknesses or your pain. The internal struggle within the game face is mentally draining. Like it or not, that is what I do when ever Ivey and I go. When we go as a family the game face is almost nonexistent, Matt is there. When Ivey and I are out with friends, they act as a cushion, yet I still feel the pressure to have the ‘it’s the way the parent handles the situation’ game face. When it is just me and my three companions, the boys add in a certain distraction. However, when Ivey and I go alone it is up to me to respond and make right and good decisions. I hate sounding weak, but sometimes it is hard.

A couple of days ago my friend Lowery read quote to me that I had read before, but had long since forgotten about. It said life is 10% what happens to you and 90% your attitude. I must remember this and redirect my attitude. I must teach Ivey that she is in control of her 90%, not their 10%.

You see, yesterday I left my house without my game face. I was too excited about our girls’ day together – one of our first. It was one of those days mommas dream about with their little girls. So, I had my genuine smile, not my game face smile.

First, Ivey was going to her first cheerleading competition. I was so excited. I would be back at the school where I taught and coached; I could watch the girls compete; Ivey could hear some loud music and enjoy a new environment. Most importantly, we were going to support my best friend – Ivey’s godmother. Ivey’s godmother is one incredible coach and we wanted to be there for her. So we went – just the girls – to a girly event. My guard was down.

There we were surrounded by people we didn’t know, some from here; some from there. Either way, they did not know Ivey – so there was some staring, which is normal. There were many ‘Oh, poor thing’- just part of this normal life. While standing in the middle of a crowd some teenage boys (not from here) walked by, looked at Ivey and said ‘What the h_ _ _?” I wasn’t ready. I found myself fighting back tears. Instantly her future flashed before my eyes. {Her teenage years} What hurts the most is that Ivey may be blind, but she is not deaf. Eventually, she will know the statement was directed toward her.

As a mom I hurt for her. I don’t want her to be any different than she is. I do want her to have normal experiences. I don’t know how to exactly describe what I want for Ivey. I do want her to be happy, and she is. I want her to feel loved, and she does. It amazes me that she gets a certain response from people, yet they fail to see her accomplishments or the fact that she literally wakes up every morning with a SMILE on her face. Every morning! Everyone could learn from her.

Selfishly, I want a day where my heart doesn’t hurt for her.

Some people will have advice like ‘you have to deal with it’ or ‘don’t take it personally’, but those same people have never and will never experience their child being the one ridiculed – on a daily basis – for being different. I do deal with it. However, that does not take the sting away. And in the future, how will I heal the sting when it affects her – when she knows that the questions are because something is different about her, yet she can not even see the difference? Will she have friends, her own friends, who will stand with her and let these same things that hurt me bounce off of them without hesitation?

Those few seconds yesterday hurt, but they did not stop our girls’ day. We went on. What kind of mother would I be if we didn’t go on? What kind lesson would Ivey have learned if we ducked our heads and went home? I have waited for a long time to share special moments with my daughter, just like my mom and I did. We went on to window shop downtown. Literally, at every corner there was someone who knew Ivey, speaking to her, touching her so happy to see her. They reminded me how blessed my little girl is and how great this world is just because of her presence.

Last night I was hurt and confused and allowing a few short seconds to dictate my attitude, my 90%, and Ivey’s life. Today I see that Ivey will be fine. There are so many people who love her and will protect her along the way.

12 comments:

Connie Barris said...

My first reaction of course is to defend Ivey. Because I have so grown to love her. Second, is to embrace you because I so love you and your family.

There are no words.

In my counseling setting, I walk young girls and woman through healing of the daily attacks of the world. Basically, none of us are immune. I remember being made fun of for having bugs bunny teeth. Even though that sounds small, it caused great damage. The world is cruel.

I wonder (not to minimize your emotions by any means) how God felt as the world spit on and cussed His Son. Only to say, I know God knows how you feel when we may not.

The pain is overbearing, I can only imagine. What a sad world this has become that we can't extend love. Only to ask "Why?"

I can't take away your pain, but I will sure walk with you....

Love ya
Connie

Alison said...

I'm here...far away but here. Cheering her on, in her corner always!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

It's hard for me to hear the comments you have to about Ivey and I've never even met little Ivey. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to hear those comments! I'm sorry you have to hear them.

Ivey might have to overcome hurdles in her life, but one hurdle she is blessed to never face is a lack of love and support. You are such a wonderful Mama to her! And just by the pictures and stories I've seen her whole family loves her dearly. In that way she is incredibly blessed!

Jennifer said...

Gwen- We'll always be in Ivey's corner too. I am so anxious to see her new eyes!!!! I know you all are waiting with bated breath!

Anonymous said...

I was reading along, understanding each and every word, sharing the feelings as a parent of special needs children and then my mouth dropped open, out came the claws, ready to fight for Ivey. The hardest thing for me has been those horrid, unexpected, brash comments from others.
Lots of hugs for you.

Renee said...

I've clicked over here several times to read what you wrote trying to figure out what to say, and I still really haven't gotten very far. Even though our circumstances are very different, my husband and I have many of those same thoughts about our son's future...wanting to protect him from the sinfulness of this world and the hurt that others cause. But we can't. We can only pray that God will cause others to be merciful and gracious to him. And I'll pray the same for Ivey. She's blessed to have a family that will fight for her.

GM's Mom said...

Your little girl is so blessed! I will pray for you and your sweet little girl and I will pray that everyone in this world has half the spirit and love in their hearts that Ivey does! Ivey is a blessing, hang in there we are ALL here for you!

Tanya Siekman said...

To Cynthia, I just knew you'd be here. I'm so glad.

Gwen, I am praying for Ivey to spread her love and be accepted for who she is. As she grows she'll encounter many, but hopefully, what she leaves behind touches many more.

Tanya

Sarah said...

I wish I had some great words of wisdom here, but I only have a whole lot of empathy. I wonder about Addie and what people will say about her if she turns out having developmental delays and disabilities or whatever. It hurts this mama's heart to hear about such an ignorant remark made about your sweet girl. Thank you for being authentic in your blog, and for being honest about the struggles in having a special needs child.

We continue to pray for your whole family often, and we think of you still as our kindred spirits. We'll meet someday, Gwen!

Holly said...

How sad and empty that soul must be...to not be able to see the gift that Ivey is! I pray for them.

I pray also for Ivey to have such a love for people like that...and compassion--for they are missing out on the love of a pure heart.

You are a good Mama!

Leslie said...

Oh, Gwen. (((BIG HUGS))) from across the miles. I hate, hate, hate that you had to go through that. It physically hurts. It makes you want to hide in the house...

I'm emailing you...

amy and mighty max said...

Yes, yes...and yes. Your words were those that I have thought and spoken many times. The words, the comments, the questions, the stares...even if they are harmless, they still sting. "What's wrong with him? What's that? and so on and so on..."

And somedays we are tough and the comments bounce off with ease...other days you want to just scream, cry, hide.

I don't know you personally, but I share some of your story.

You have a blessed, beautiful lil' girl...and she is certainly very loved. You are doing amazing.

But most importantly, God is doing amazing works through your family.

Amy and Mighty Max

Sibling Secret Sauce

Siblings of kiddos with disabilities are amazing humans walking amongst us. They live a life, most often, in the shadows of their sibling w...